Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have 3 small (23-26 lb) dogs. Today, when we got

Customer Question

Hello, we have 3 small (23-26 lb) dogs. Today, when we got home, there were 3 Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bars missing from the bag... Not sure if 1 or all 3 dogs got into them. Just wanna know what we should do or what things we should watch for? It's sunday so not sure if there's a vet open nearby.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both todayWhile I am looking for the information can you please tell me - The amount of ounces per chocolate bar- If any of the dogs are acting abnormal, pacing, anxious, drinking more water than normal, odor to the breath?- How long were you gone?Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
And looking at their site some of these are sugar free, do they contain xylitol?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If these are the regular non sugar free formula the pieces should be 8 grams each (0.28 ounces) x 3 is 24 grams (0.84 ounces)Your smallest dog being 23 pounds (10.5 kg) this means that if the smallest dog ingested all three it would be 12.1 mg/kg of methylxanthins which is what theobromide is making the chocolate toxic to your dog. This would only result in mild signs of chocolate ingestion including possible vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and should not see any further signs of muscle tremors, increased water intake, increased anxietyTonight I would as a precaution give a smaller meal with some white rice to settle their stomach and monitor for signs of gi upset with any of the dogs. Very likely with this amount ingested (if my calculations of it not being sugar free) you will not see any ill effects at all.Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you all If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you all!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I hope all of your dogs are doing well! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marty,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman