Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog 2 year old, 25 lb Boston Terrier has been bleeding

Customer Question

My dog 2 year old, 25 lb Boston Terrier has been bleeding through her whisker pores for almost a week. I took pictures when it first happened, but the next day, it looked like it was getting better, and it didn't even seem to be very red. Then I checked
it the following day, up close, and it was sort of hard and leathery, as though it was scabbing over. Then, the night before last, I saw a larger spot of blood coming from the top of her cheek whisker (same place as before). Looking it up online, the most
common answer is that lip folk dermatitis/pyoderma, but I thought I should check because I didn't think it was in any folds. It seemed to be more in her cheek (and nowhere near her lip). However, when I just took pictures now, I can see it does affect two
tiny folds (I can't believe they fold enough to get bactiera, but maybe so -- I hope so -- then we can identify it and treat it)! I saw treatments of antibiotics and prednisone, both of which I have, but of course, I will not give her anything without the
advice of a vet. If Dr. Salkin is online, I prefer to talk to him. I have original and current pics of the affected cheek and the unaffected cheek if it is helpful. Hollie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In order, the pics are: Original problem, today's problem cheek, and her unaffected cheek.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. I'm sorry Dr. Salkin does not seem to be available right now. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Upon examination of the photos, which were quite useful, I must agree my top concern would be this is a severe infection. However, it could be infection due to bacteria (pyoderma), mites (demodex in particular), yeast or an atypical ringworm infection. However, if upon examination and then a skin scraping by your veterinarian (done for both mites and bacteria/yeast) nothing is found, then if there is truly blood seeping from the whiskers, then it really is indicated to check coagulation parameters to ensure there is not an underlying bleeding problem which can come from a variety of underlying problems.
I do highly recommend you have your veterinarian do an exam and the skin scraping BEFORE you start any medications, especially prednisone because if this is a mite infection, administering prednisone could make it a lot worse.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, she has been checked for mites recently (I suppose they can come at any time so probably being checked one day doesn't mean she doesn't have them the next week, however, I have read elsewhere that the likelihood of mange without hair loss is very, very low. I was laid off several years ago, which is why I haven't taken her to the doctor already, so telling me to "go see a vet" has not resolved my problem at all. If that were possible, in all but the most extreme circumstances, without trying home options first, I would have already done it. I am not sure where she would have gotten ringworm. We do not have cats nor are we around any of the more common transmitters of ringworm. Yeast, I'm not sure about. I do babysit other dogs, so I originally thought it might just be a little injury due to all the playing she does on a daily basis. Coagulation parameters sounds like a zebra in a pack of horses, so I'd rather look at horses first. If you cannot suggest things beyond "see a vet," is it possible for you to leave a message for Dr. Salkin to contact me?Thank you,Hollie
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry if you do not like my answer. My goal is to provide complete and accurate information. We must keep in mind that the truth is not always something we want to hear. I will opt out so maybe someone else can give you answers you want to hear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw that Dr. Salkin was online right now. How do I request him?