Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Our pug has had diarrhea past 3 days. She can't seem

Customer Question

Our pug has had diarrhea for the past 3 days. She can't seem to control it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern for Chaos.My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)- Stomach or intestinal foreign body- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem. Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. If you have recently started Chaos on any new treats, any human food, any new diet, OR even if you have started a new bag of his old diet, those could all be possible causes as well. Remember! Do not repeatedly give pepto. It could cover up a issue or intestinal parasite problem. So, you may need to get to a vet for some basic testing, which would likely include a basic blood test and a fecal test. In fact, even if things improve, I would still recommend a annual fecal test. Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Hope that info helpsIf for any reason I didn't cover everything for you, just reply to me and I will get back shortly after eating. Good Luck!Dr. Andy