Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How much vitamin K do I give my dog who weighs 74 lbs. she at a little bit of rat poising

Customer Question

how much vitamin K do I give my dog who weighs 74 lbs. she at a little bit of rat poising and we got her to vomit 3 times with hydroproxide
we could only find 100mcg at the health food store
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I have to do ...?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning. 1. For rodenticide toxicity the typical dose of Vitamin K in the dog is between 1 to 3 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight. This dose is usually split and given in two or three equal doses during the day. { 100 mcg = 0.1 mg by the way }2. Vitamin K1 treatment must be continued for as long as the rodenticide is present in the dog's body. Some rodenticides on the market are very long lasting and can remaining in the body for up to six weeks.3. While the above information is accurate on balance this situation is best dealt with by a vet. 4. However if you managed to induce vomiting within one hour of ingestion of the toxin then in a great many cases that would be sufficient but vitamin K would always be a wise further precautionI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.