Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a 4 year old Shih Zu that stopped eating and drinking

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Shih Zu that stopped eating and drinking about a week and half ago. They ran tests and told me that her kidney levels weren't right, so they started her on IV and changed the her food to Hills prescription diet for kidney. It's been a week and the daily IV was done on Thurs and she did good drinking water on Fri., however, she slowed down on Sat. and stopped by drinking by Sun morning. I went back to the vet this morning and they started her back on the IV again. On Fri they tested her again and the doctor read the results of the test from Fri and said that the kidney levels were normal again. My question is, should I continue to feed her the special diet and what should they test for next? The not drinking concerns me the most.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Super tough question. You need to ask the vet if the initial kidney values suggested she was simply dehydrated (for example, just a mild elevation in the BUN level), or if she truly had kidney disease. That would mean the BUN and creatinine were both quite high.It's quite common for kidney values to drop with IV fluids, but they can go back up with time. If the values were completely normal the second time around, I am suspicious if there was ever true kidney disease present. Now, what to do?Yes, I would continue the same diet until you have 100% confidence whether there is true kidney insufficiency or kidney failure present. Typically, if a dog is eating, they will drink!!!!Now, the reverse, is not always true. A sick or nauseated pet may drink but won't eat. So, if he is willing to eat, I wouldn't worry about drinking.To help stimulate the thirst you can try offering gatorade, pedialyte, or even adding canned tuna juice to the water (make sure to change frequently).Tough situation. If your vet can't get the upperhand on this problem, make sure to request a referral to a internist for further help. Good Luck!Dr. Andy