Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My old dog has small worms about the size of maggots crawling

Customer Question

My old dog has small worms about the size of maggots crawling in and out of his rectum. Just happened in the last day first time I have ever seen anything like this. What is this and how do I help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both todayMay I ask did these look like maggots, same size and shape or were they more rice-like in appearance? Smaller fragments? If they were more rice like then they were tapeworms which require a veterinary prescription to treat effectively. Typically two treatments approximately 2 weeks apart. Next time he has a bowel movement please collect it and refrigerate for your veterinarian to evaluate and if the pieces are evident of what look like worms or maggots all the better for your vet to see. CLICK HERE for more informationIf they were more like maggots: An open infection, vaginal discharge, matting, even just feces stuck to the fur can attract flies which lay eggs, and maggots are the result. These maggots then migrate into the rectum in search of food. They eat the fecal matter in the rectum and then they can burrow into the muscle, causing serious damage to the muscle and intestines. So this is a case where your dog needs emergency attention, as this could be a life-threatening situation. This is actually most common in pet rabbits kept outside and other animals that spend lots of time outdoors.If he has not had diarrhea then this is a good sign. It suggests that these maggots may not have traveled up the rectum and into the intestinal tract, causing inflammation and it's inflammation that triggers diarrhea and loose stools. Aside from removing these one by one, there's not much you can do because I suspect they are already inside his body. And we need to stop them before they cause serious damage so if they are maggots a veterinary exam is warranted. Here's a site on myiasis (maggot infestations) in dogs: CLICK HERE Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!