Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an American Bully who is knuckling over quite badly

Customer Question

I have an American Bully who is knuckling over quite badly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am feeding him Taste of the Wild canned adult dog food. He is 11 weeks old, has been having this problem for 1 week. It is not getting better, but worse. Should I wrap his carpal joints with vet wrap or splint?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a canine ortho vet look at him this week (he's a client of ours so it was at our farm, not in a clinical area) and he said not to wrap but he admitted he was familiar with the problem to the extent that it existed in large breed pups, but not the treatment protocols.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has previously been better first thing in the morning, but today was not.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Does he knuckle over on all 4 feet, or just the front? There are different conditions that can cause this problem. It could be a problem with the nerves to the legs, a neurologic problem, or it could be an orthopedic (joints, bones, tendons, ligaments) problem. Did the canine ortho vet that looked at him tell you if he thought it was an orthopedic or a neurologic problem?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If I could, I would start with an exam of the legs, reflexes, etc. and Xrays to find out what the problem is. Then I would know if splints might help or not. If it is neurologic, splints will not make a difference. If it is contracture of the ligaments in the front legs, then splints would help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the front two, and he thought it was an orthopedic issue. Another pup in the litter is having the same issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was very confident it was a orthopedic issue based upon his exam
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Then I would try to find out what the exact orthopedic problem is, like contracted tendons. If that is what it is, splinting may help. Since he is so young, the splints will have to be adjusted often as he grows. I would also get Xrays, to be sure it is not due to malformation of the bones.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Can I help with or answer anything else?
Let me know how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?