Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog had a sebaceous cyst rupture yesterday while being groomed.

Customer Question

my dog had a sebaceous cyst rupture yesterday while being groomed. The groomer cleaned away the hair and I have been cleaning the area with hydrogen perioxide and putting Neosporin on it. I put gauze over it to keep it clean then an Ace bandage over and round her to keep the gauze in place. Is there anything else I need to do and do I need to go to the Vet. Last time I had her at the Vet he did an aspiration of the lump and said it was not cancer so that is good
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
These are very common in older dogs and it is also common for them to rupture during a grooming. You have done the exact correct thing for your sweet LillyAnne so far. There is no need to have your vet examine this unless it festers more but applying the Neosporin and cleaning with peroxide will allow this area to heal without fear of infection.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****