Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a new puppy. 8 wks old. He is due booster,

Customer Question

I have a new puppy. 8 wks old. He is due for his booster, so he has had his first round of shots. Yesterday he was lazy and didn't play or eat much. Thru the night, while he slept he would yelp out as if he was being hurt and pee on himself, several times. Today he is lethargic and when I put him down, he just sits there. He doesn't go to food or isn't interested in toys. He just lays down and sleeps. About 3 wks ago my 8 yr old boxer died suddenly of what I thought was maybe a cva. He wasn't using his back legs and seemed really confused. He died within 2-3 hrs of those symptoms. I am worried about this guy now. It's sunday, small town, no vets open. Help!!!!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no vomiting, no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Very sorry to hear about Tank.First, got to get this little guy eating.It is possible, he is becoming hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) which is compounding the other problems. So, I would give him about a teaspoon of pancake syrup or karo syrup. If I am correct, within 30 minutes (or far less) he should pep up. If he does, then try offering some additional food.It is common after vaccines, to see a poor appetite for about 24 hours. Sometimes, they can also be painful at the injection sites. I don't know if the vaccines are to blame for everything, but if so, you should be able to get him back on track. Even if painful, without a local vet, I would not recommend at this age trying to give any over the counter pain medicine.I would just focus on trying to get him eating again. Otherwise, if he does not respond to the syrup and continues to decline, an emergency vet visit is really going to be needed.Wish I could do more. Also, if he has had any recent bad diarrhea or vomiting, that would elevate concerns for a viral issue. Oh..just saw you type no vomiting. Great. One last thing. FEcal testing is a must.Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Good Luck!Dr. Andy