Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 36 pund 8 y/b0 heeler has been on Proin 50 qd year.

Customer Question

my 36 pund 8 y/b0 heeler has been on Proin 50 qd for a year. About 8 weeks ago she started getting us up 3 times a night to urinate. no infection or crystals. Vet had us icrease to 50 2x/day. panting at rest and urine low gravity. Serum glucose normal. scared Proin is hurting her. thinking on weaning off. Vet thinking of testing for Cushings.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I share your concern about Alli.
Now the major worry here is that you noted that her urine specific gravity is low. This means she is not concentrating her urine as she should be and it is too dilute. The Proin would not cause this nor would it be hurting her; but it also cannot stop leakage, accidents, or increase urinary frequency if her urine is too dilute and therefore there is more of it. (Since essentially she is producing more urine and therefore needing to go more often and thus waking you up). To see urine dilution, we'd be concerned about her organ health (ie kidney, liver, heart) as well as metabolic diseases (ie Cushings or Addisons). Therefore, you can wean her off the Proin but do plan on having her vet check a blood sample to identify which of these other issues is present so that they can be treated and addressed for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )