Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Past week my 8 year old cocker spaniel has a milky

Customer Question

For the past week my 8 year old cocker spaniel has a milky discharge from both his eyes. He had it last year and the vet said it was allergies, is this something I should have checked out again?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is the discharge thick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Any other symptoms? 2- Is he on any other medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms or meds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding my questions. Give me a few minutes while I type a response for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, certainly allergies could cause eye discharge. But, the discharge you are seeing is called mucus. A very common condition that causes an increase production of mucus in the eyes is "dry eyes" (keratoconjunctivitis sicca); this is when the eyes stop producing the watery component of tears and as a result increases the production of mucus to maintain the eyes lubricated.I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a tear test (shimer's test). This test is fairly inexpensive and done within minutes during the office visit. Dry eye can be uncomfortable and untreated can lead to ulcers of the cornea (first layer of the eye). In the meantime, this is what you can do:1- Pick up in your local pharmacy eye wash and irrigate eyes; clean with a moist gauze. 2- After flushing and cleaning eyes as above apply over the counter tear supplements. 3- Do the above 3-6 times a day. 4- As long as you keep the eyes lubricated as above you will not see mucus. 5- The day he is to see your family veterinarian do Not flush or clean the eyes. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter