Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is having a hard time pooping, she is trying and nothing

Customer Question

My dog is having a hard time pooping, she is trying and nothing is coming out. Is there anything I can give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- How long has it been since the last time she had a bowel movement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't been acting herself the past few days. I'm not exactly sure when her last bowl movement was. She weighs about 75lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, it sounds like she is constipated as you may already know. This is what you can try: 1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. 2- Add 2-3 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to her food. Increasing fiber intake helps with regularity. 3- As a stool softener you can give 1 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy. 4- You can also give her milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener. 5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have her checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter