Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 year old Lab all of a sudden wont use her back legs.

Customer Question

My 8 year old Lab all of a sudden wont use her back legs. It happened about an hour after eating a rawhide bone so I thought she may swallowed it whole and have a blockage. Went to vet. Took ex rays, nothing there. She wont drink, but she is eating white rice with chicken and broth. She hasn't gone poop for a day and a half. She has no fever, and she wags her tail so she's in good spirits. Tuesday she brought home some kind of dead maggot infested animal. Vet is treating her for food poisoning. Don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing a paretic (weak) or paralyzed dog. Has her vet tested your Lab's hind legs for conscious proprioception (knowing where one's legs are in space) and nociception (deep pain perception)? The presence or absence of nociception is the most important prognosticator for these dogs.
I don't see a relationship to food poisoning. I would be concerned about intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") or fibrocartilaginous embolism (FCE/an interruption to the blood supply to the spinal cord) in such a dog. Neither might be seen in X-rays but should be apparent in MRI.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?