Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our yorkie is a year n 1/2 years old this evening she vomited once was

Customer Question

Our yorkie is a year n 1/2 years old this evening she vomited once was panting heavly for a few sevonds has now stopped panting but has peed twice poped n it had a little mucus, while being held. she is some what passive now not her normal self
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What did she bring up in her vomit?
Was her stool loose?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her stool was solid but kind of filmy, at the time she was panting she didnt want water. We didnt check her stomach or her gums, but she did seem a little on the discomfort side. She did wince when we pick her up. She was a little lathargic, but as time past she became somewhat alert. She is asleep now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, if Charlies is sleeping, then we don't want to disturb her. Hopefully, some good rest will let her immune system tackle what is present and settle her by the time she wakes.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** signs she showed, these do raise concerns of GI upset and nausea. The mucus in her stool could be due to low grade inflammation in the lower bowel. Still, as long the stool was solid, this is more likely to just a side effect of the forces she was exerting on her body when she did vomit.
Therefore, we'd be most concerned and want to focus on her nausea and vomiting. As I am sure you can appreciate, common causes for her signs include bacterial or viral GI bugs, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, or if she has eaten something (ie toxic, non-edible) she should not have.
Now as long as you are sure that she couldn't have gotten into anything harmful, when she is awake we can try to settle her stomach. To do so, you can consider treating her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
We tend to want to use these 20 minutes before offering food to allow it to take effect. And of course, if she is has any pre-existing issues or is on any other medications that you haven't noted, you'd want to check with her vet before using these.
Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider tempting her on a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Also by feeding this in small frequent meals, it will reduce the stress on the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Finally, while I would not expect Charlies to be dehydrated after one vomit, I do want to outline how to check her hydration. To do so, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).
Overall, Charlies's signs are suggestive of an upper GI based upset with nausea. Hopefully, now that she has settled and is sleeping, she can sleep this off. Of course, when she is awake, do double check that her gums are pink and that she is no longer tender in her belly. As well, if you isn't settling, you can use the above to help her to do so. But if she appears very sore at any point or isn't settling with our supportive care, then we'd want to have a check with her vet to just make sure she hasn't eaten anything she should have. Furthermore, they can also cover her with anti-nausea medication by injection +/- antibiotics if needed to just get her back on track and feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )