Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 2.5 year old golden retriever had some bright reed bleeding from her mouth. Took her to

Customer Question

My 2.5 year old golden retriever had some bright reed bleeding from her mouth. Took her to the vet. 2 molar extractions with a non satisfactory sew over job on the gums. Never found source of bleeding. Bet says PCV pre op was normal. Post op was 15. Hematoma where molars where removed. Additional blood work post op showed Platelet count of 3k.
Prednisone started and some other drug. On 2nd transfusion. No joy. Is this Evans syndrome. Could this be a spleen issue?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am so very sorry about what is happening. That precipitous drop in PCV during surgery is very concerning to me. Because all that blood had to be going somewhere. I have to assume it was associated with the extraction procedure. Low platelets and low blood count. By definition, if BOTH are low due to a autoimmune condition, than yes, its Evan's.At this point, I don't think there are very many other explanations, at this age. Also, 2 molar extractions at this age is a bit surprising as well. So, I don't think it's the spleen. I do think it's a autoimmune issue. So, the key is to be very aggressive with the immunosuppressive drugs. Absolutely, if you do not have a specialist involved, it is time to request an immediate consult with an internist to ensure you are on the right path for Frenchy. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I should clarify one other point.For the PCV to drop that much either you really must be losing a tremendous amount of blood, which I assume the vet would have told you occurred during surgery, or the body is destroying it. Being destroyed would be consistent with the autoimmune diagnosis. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had slight bleeding pre op and vet thought it was a cut between the molars. Never found. I guess the surgery triggered the auto immune crisis. I was really concerned about the 3k platelet count. 1st transfusion brought HCT to 19. It fell to 14 after 24 hrs. 2nd transfusion tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Very sorry.
If she is at a emergency hospital or with a boarded specialist, great!
If not, I would have her transferred as soon as possible.
I truly feel that this is a situation that warrants a critical care specialist or internist.
Wish I could do more.