Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have two beagles, one has been vomiting and won't eat anything. He will still take

Customer Question

I have two beagles, one has been vomiting and won't eat anything. He will still take a little water. Now the other one has vomited x1. They both just look like they don't feel good, kind of like they have the flu. Wondering if maybe they drank some bad water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am very sorry to hear about your pup's vomiting and one now refusing to eat at all.Possible causes of gastrointestinal upset include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, a bacterial or viral infection, parasites, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are possible causes but less likely because we have multiple dogs in the family affected.Because multiple dogs are affected contagious disease (bacterial or viral infections or parasites) or something that they are both being fed or finding to eat on their own is most likely. Certainly drinking contaminated water is a possibility, but usually it is related to eating something spoiled. You can give them acid reducers to try and settle their stomachs. Either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle the stomach and reduce nausea. These can be used as necessary or long term if needed as they are very safe.I'd also pick up their food and water for now. A couple hours after the acid reducer is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. They are likely thirsty but we need to settle their stomachs first.No food for 12 hours. Small amounts of water only.After the 12 hour food fast then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless, chicken) and 2/3 boiled plain, white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in their regular diet and slowly convert them back.If you go back to the original food and their nausea continues even with the acid reducers, fast and bland diet then you may wish to consider using a different food, perhaps the bag that they are eating is spoiled.At that point I would also recommend checking fecal samples for parasites and worming them with pyrantel and febendazole to cover a wide range of parasites.If they continue vomiting it would also be a good idea to have blood tests done as well to make sure there isn't an underlying infection or metabolic problem like early organ failure present.Please let me know if you have any further questions.