Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Puppy chewed on a nupro patch

Customer Question

Puppy chewed on a nupro patch
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.Was this a used patch or an unused one? If it was used hopefully most of the active ingredients would have been absorbed. The Neupro patch contains Rotigotine as the active ingredient which is a non-ergoline D3/D2/D1 dopamine agonist for treating Parkinson's disease. Side effects from exposure the this drug include hyperactivity, increased stomach lining irritation, and increased liver enzyme levels. So I would expect your puppy to be more active than usual and she may have mild stomach upset including nausea, vomiting and a decreased appetite. But the effects seen will depend upon how much she ingested.You might want to check her mouth, lips and gums for irritation. If present she should see a veterinarian for a coating agent medication called sucralfate. In the meantime feed soft, soupy foods to stimulate her appetite and allow her to eat comfortably.Add water to canned food or feed a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, shredded, white, skinless chicken or boiled, very lean ground beef and 2/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken or beef broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.The hyperactivity should wane with time.And her liver enzyme increase should be very slight, if it happens and transitory.If she has no signs of mouth redness or ulcers and she is eating normally then no treatment should be necessary.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deborah Murphy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lulu. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara