Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Just got aspirin Lb dog. Trying to figure out dosage.

Customer Question

Just got aspirin for 50 Lb dog. Trying to figure out dosage. Pills 81mg. She is limping a bit and vet is aware. Can she take 3 pills or is that too much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is she currently on any medications? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if she is not on any other non steroidal anti inflammatory medication you can use aspirin. Three 81mg aspirin every 12 hours would be appropriate for a 50 lbs dog; give them with food. A better option is to use Buffered Aspirin 325mg 3/4 of a tablet every 12 hours, it will be more gentle on her stomach.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter