Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

We have a cocker that we adopted and his right nostril is always

Customer Question

we have a cocker that we adopted and his right nostril is always plugged, even when we clean it out it plugs back up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern. Tough question.There could be an underlying allergic issue causing a chronic rhinitis/sinusitis, or there could be something in the nostril causing a problem (polyp or tumor).So, if this has been going on weeks or even months, you will need to get in to a vet. They may want to culture the discharge coming out of the nose, to get a better idea of what type of infection is present.Additional diagnostics could include some x-rays or possible future rhinoscopy to look up there. If allergic, it wouild make sense to give an antihistamine. But, that can be tricky. Why?Well, antihistamines can dry up the sinuses, and that may thicken any nasal discharge even more. So, I would do the vet visit first before starting any therapies, even over the counter. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Soda Springs. How is everything going?