Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has a swollen left half of his lip and is doing a lot

Customer Question

my dog has a swollen left half of his lip and is doing a lot of whinning.
I have no idea how it became swollen. He's been rubbing it on the carpet
and noticed it's swollen just now. Don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry to hear about this concern.If it came up very quickly, within 1 day, than I would be highly suspicious of a allergic reaction, like a insect bite/sting. So, first, I would give an antihistamine to try and help out.But, ultimately, when swelling is present, a emergency vet visit is very important. Why?Because a vet can give an injection and/or oral steroids, which can quickly resolve the problem. More importantly, if there is an infection present, they can get that addressed as well.Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours. Hope that info helpsGood Luck!Dr. Andy