Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

MY DOG HAS RED SCALEY PACHES THAT ITCH,BECAUSE SHES ALWAYS

Customer Question

MY DOG HAS RED SCALEY PACHES THAT ITCH,BECAUSE SHES ALWAYS DIGGING AT IT. IT GETS SCALY/SCABBY SHE IS LOSING HER FUR IN THESE PATCHES.I HAVE BEEN TREATING HER BY WASHING AND APPLYING CORTIZONE CREAM.WHAT IS THIS AND WHAT DO I DO TO ELIMINATE IT????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...How long has Babe had this problem?Has the vet done a skin scraping at all?Where are these patches?Is she a hunting dog?What state do you live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she has a few spots ,on her neck,and under her neck.in different places her right honch,rear. her right leg by her shoulder,. she has had this prob about 2 weeks now.I did take her to the vet yesterday. He did not do a scraping,but said if she is not recovering by 2 weeks from now I should bring her back He gave her a shot to make her more comfortable,and started her on antibiotics.He does not think its mites or mange.He will do a scraping in 2 weeks if she is not showing recovery. No, I do not hunt her, but her Mother,father and sisters are used for hunting. They do not live w/us.We are in Massachusetts.I think I am already seeing a change in the amount of scratching she is doing.T Y ! Marcia

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information Marcia. I really appreciate it.It sounds to me like she picked up a little skin infection somewhere. If the antibiotics weren't already making her scratch less, then I'd suggest you give the vet a call and have them do the skin scraping now, rather than waiting, but since you're already seeing an improvement, I think we should still operate under the assumption it's a little infection and let the antibiotics do their work.That being said...if you notice more scratching or more scaly spots, then you should definitely give the vet a call and have them do the skin scraping to see what is going on. If the scraping doesn't turn up any answers, then it might not be a bad idea to have them do some allergy testing to make sure that we're not dealing with an allergy rather than an infection...but I absolutely feel like the antibitoics will do the trick.I hope this helps.