Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog had a splenectomy in November and the biopsy came back

Customer Question

My dog had a splenectomy in November and the biopsy came back with cancer. She recovered from the surgery well and was acting healthy until last week when she started eating dirt. An ultrasound found masses in her liver and a blood test determined that she's extremely anemic. I found 2 supplements online that sound like they could help. Kemin Resources Blood & Energy Support and Apocaps. Could these help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Greta's cancer. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The best supplement for this type of cancer is I'm Yunnity mushrooms. Dogs taking this particular supplement, after surgery for spleen cancer, liver significantly longer than dogs with spleen cancer not taking the mushrooms. There is a good clinical study showing it makes a difference, done at the vet school in Pennsylvania.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
http://www.imyunityfordogs.com/
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Supplements like the ones you name would be good to help with anemia. I also like a Chinese medicine called Yunnan Baiyao for these dogs, it helps control internal bleeding.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I looked up Apocaps with some online cancer veterinary specialists, and there is no clinical evidence of it helping, like there are studies to show the I'm Yunity mushrooms do. It is safe to try, however.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I give her any supplements? I'm worried because she is only eating yogurt and eggs. She was throwing up before the anti-nausea medicine. Her stool is like mustard (color and consistency). Her stomach feels hot - does that mean she has ulcers? I want to help her, give her every possible chance, but I don't want to make her worse!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I would give the Blood and Energy support, and would get the mushrooms I mentioned.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Her stomach feeling hot does not means he has ulcers. She may have a fever, inflammation, or infection.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/mushroom-compound-offers-hope-cancer-dogs-humans/story?id=20970708
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to take her to the vet? My problem is that I think my vet has given up on her.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I would have a consult with a veterinary oncologist, if you have not had one yet. He or she would know the latest treatments and options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it ok to feed her yogurt and eggs? anything else I could feed her that would be easy for digestion? she won't touch any dogfood presently.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It is important that she eats. I would try boiled chicken, rice, veggies, as well as the yogurt and eggs.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Greta doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can always get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
I do hope she is feeling better. Rebecca