Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our three year old retriever mix seems sluggish today. He is

Customer Question

Our three year old retriever mix seems sluggish today. He is having difficulty going up stairs and although he is eating like normal, he is not rushing to his food bowl like he usually does. He just seems different today than he did yesterday and we are
concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jaco. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Can you take his temperature with a rectal thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102; if he is over 102 he is acting like this because of a fever. If you look at his gums, are they a normal bright pink color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His stool was loose but I wouldn't consider it diarrhea but it's been a little loose today. He seems sad and although he is playing he doesn't seem like himself. He doesn't have anything in his paws and has all his shots updated and gets heart worm pills and flea and tick meds each month. Our pet guinea pig just died last week so we might be overly sensitive but he's just not his normal, crazy self today.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Many things could make him sluggish, not eat normally, and have trouble with stairs: fever, internal disease, neck or back pain, injury.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Loose stool is a clue: could be intestinal infection, something he ate, parasites.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't have a rectal thermometer and I'm not sure he would even let us take his temp. His nose is cold and wet like normal. Does that help? Hi gums are pink but I wouldn't call them bright pink. It's hard to tell because he is currently stalking my husband for his chicken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a rescue dog and he was in the middle of heart worm treatment when we got him. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not. His recent tests for heart worms have been negative.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If his gums are pink and he is that interested in food, those are good signs. I would limit his activity, feed him less than normal, and keep him hydrated as possible. You can offer broth as well as water, or Pedialyte. If he is now negative for heartworm, that is probably not the reason for these symptoms now.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help with or answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think we're good. Thank you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Let me know how he is doing. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Hope he is doing better soon.