Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Chichua is having trouble with his anal glands, He crys

Customer Question

My Chichua is having trouble with his anal glands, He crys while going to the bathroom even tho his stool is soft.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Buster. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Do you see any blood in his stools? If his stool is softer than normal, he may have colitis, and that may be why he is uncomfortable when he defecates. It could also be his anal glands, as you say. If it is the anal glands, the glands may need to be emptied, or they could be infected and then he would need antibiotics. If you have not emptied or checked anal glands, this is probably not something to do at home. You have to put on a latex glove and a lot of lubricant, and put a finger inside his anus to find the gland and empty it. Best to have this done by someone who is experienced like a veterinarian or a veterinary technician. Adding fiber to the diet, like canned unsweetened pumpkin, may help if this is an anal gland problem. Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca