Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 3 yr old female toy poodle often seems to struggle to breathe as if she has asthma. No

Customer Question

My 3 yr old female toy poodle often seems to struggle to breathe as if she has asthma. No trigger seems to be required. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Avery. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. These breathing problems could be asthma, but that is rare in dogs. It could also be "reverse sneezing": when a dog is reverse sneezing, the noise is being made when they breathe in, when they inhale. With asthsma, or with coughing, the noise is when they exhale or breathe out. Can you tell which she is doing?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If her gums are pink, and stay pink when she has these episodes, that is a good sign she is getting enough air. With asthma, the gums will often be pale in color.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Another thing we see in small breeds is a collapsing trachea. These dogs do cough, and make a lot of noise as well. The treatment for all of these is different, so we first need to figure out what is wrong.