Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a 12yr old Giant Schnauzer, he is on 100mg of doxycycline 2 pil

Customer Question

I have a 12yr old Giant Schnauzer, he is on 100mg of doxycycline 2 pills every 12hrs and 30
mgs of prednisone per day. Now the problems we are having is he drinking a ton of water so he peeing a lot which I don't have a problem taking him out, the other problem we are having is that he is PANTING really bad, especially at night time, we have central air conditioning and a ceiling fan in our room, so it's not warm or humid at all.Can you please call me back so I can explain to you, I feel like I'm not making sense telling you in a txt but if you understand what I am saying you can txt me back, my # *****(###) ###-#### (cell ). My home # ***** I hope to hear from you soon, thank you very much!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question about your guy. I'm not set up to handle phone calls at this time. Can you tell me why he's on these medications? What underlying disease / issue is being treated for with them? I'll be honest and say that the prednisone that he's on most likely is responsible for the clinical signs you're seeing now. The most common side effects of prednisone is increased thirst / urination and panting. So what you're seeing sounds very much suspect that the medication he's on is causing those signs. In a lot of cases if they are having secondary side effects from the prednisone, then it can be tapered down with your vet's approval. Obviously they are using it to treat something and they need to weigh the benefit versus risk of changing the dosages.