Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy has girardia he has had symptoms since monday he has

Customer Question

My puppy has girardia he has had symptoms since monday he has been very playful and isnt even acting sick. At 3 am he had a streak of blood in his stool. And of course he didnt want to go back to bed he wanted to play. I called the vet and she said its the girardia. But my friend who is in school for vet tech scared me to death that its parvo?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
If it were parvo, he wouldn't have wanted to play. Parvo pups become profoundly depressed. What have you been treating the Giardia with, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Metrizondale. Yeah he has been fine other then the soft stool the vet said to finish the course he is on day 4 and if he hasnt gotten better to bring him back im just worried
Thank you! Metronidazole isn't the drug of choice for addressing Giardia. When administered as the sole agent it's effective in just 65% of cases. Fenbendazole is the drug of choice and metronidazole can be added to the fenbendazole therapy if I'm not seeing cure with fenbendazole alone.
I understand your concern. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do they prescribe it?
Some vets aren't as up to date as others.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?