Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog swallowed a Bing cherry with the pit. Has thrown up

Customer Question

My dog swallowed a Bing cherry with the pit. Has thrown up 4 times and now is whining and pacing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did she eat this?
Did she chew the pit or swallow it whole?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Has she passed any stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She swallowed it whole. Gums are pink. She doesn't seem to have tenderness in her belly. Just keeps vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
And how long ago did she eat it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 goes ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And no. She won't drink water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now when we see vomiting after eating fruit pits whole, we do have a few considerations. If this had been recently, we'd have worried that the bit was causing an intermittent obstruction in her stomach. But 12 hours later and the chance of blockage in the intestines would be our top concern here. Especially if she is vomiting because she cannot pass anything through her GI.
With this in mind, we do have to tread with care. The reason is because blockages with fruit pits can do a lot of damage to the intestines. They are not soft or completely smooth, so they can damage the gut lining, causing bleeding, perforate the intestine, or cut off circulation to the area they are stuck (leading to that tissue dying).
Therefore, if she is constantly vomiting, whining and restless; these are red flags that would suggest a blockage. And the safest option here would be to have her to her vet urgently. They can palpate +/- xray her gut to tell you where the pit is caught and whether she can pass it. If its mid-way (so removal from the stomach via scope or from the colon via an enema) and it is caught, then surgery may be indicated.
If there is any delay in your getting her seen, I do want to note that you can give her an antacid to try to soothe her nausea. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach. Of course, if she cannot even keep that down, it'd be another red flag that we really need her seen at this stage (especially since dogs that nauseous often need us to bypass their mouths and use injectable anti-vomiting medication for them).
If you did find that she totally settled after the antacid, then you can try to use a GI lubricant to get the pit moving (of course don't try this if she is actively vomiting since aspirating this into her lungs could be disastrous). We often will use this with a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc) and alongside a fiber source (ie tinned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to push the put through. For mild cases, we will use cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) in this manner. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces or fruit pits out of the rectum. That said, as her signs sound worryingly severe, you will need to consider a stronger GI lubricant like Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil. Ideally, we'd want to mix these into food for safe administration. These can help get things moving for her and hopefully pass this pit without complications.
Overall, I am very concerned that she has a blockage with this fruit pit. Since they can cause serious harm, we need to tread with care and it'd be advisable to have her seen +/- xrayed now. If you are delayed at all, you can try to reduce her nausea with the above. And if she did totally settle, those further steps could help this pass if it is not severely caught in her gut already.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for your wee lass,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is finally back to her old self. Took her a few days to perk up. Our vet gave her an anti-nausea shot and a prescription to stop the vomiting after checking her to make sure she didn't have an obstruction.Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update,
I am glad to hear that she is well and that that pit caused by no more issue then that bit of GI upset. Hopefully, she will refrain from giving us any more scared for a good wee while.
All the best & have a great day,
Dr. B.