Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Our 4 year old schnauzer is breathing very rapidly, has stiff

Customer Question

Our 4 year old schnauzer is breathing very rapidly, has stiff legs, shaking and has a fever of 104.8. We cannot reach our vet and don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also has 5 2 week old puppies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pushed the wrong button. I would rather respond here and via email text.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
You are correct that this is an emergency situation. If you have the option of an emergency clinic in your area within an hour's drive, then I recommend you please proceed there immediately.
With a high fever, this could be the source of the trembling and possibly the rapid breathing. Or there could be something going on in the chest such as pneumonia or fluid accumulation. But any time there is trouble breathing, this is an emergency that cannot wait.
I wish I could provide you with something easy you can do at home, but I cannot. There is no safe over-the-counter medications to give because we are not sure what is going on right now. Please do NOT give any over-the-counter pain relief products. We do not know how the liver/kidneys are doing prior to testing and this could really worsen the situation. We are not in danger of overheating yet (normal high end for a dog is 102.5F). So, I do not recommend any rapid-cool methods. If the temperature reaches 105.5 or higher, then yes, this must be done such as putting a bit (a bit) of alcohol on the pads to help him cool. But there can be more problems that its worth to do this. We usually aim for a SLOW cooling to not hurt the body.
The fever would be best helped by started intravenous fluids (must be done at the veterinary hospital) and then after an examination some testing that might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check).
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey