Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My sons dog when pup had cigar shaped mange. She is 4 now and

Customer Question

My sons dog when pup had cigar shaped mange. She is 4 now and has it again. He can't afford a vet and I'll be getting his dog but until I get her what can be bought at petsmart for this until I get his dog and take her to my dogs vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Let us be optimistic that this is NOT demodex mange. It rarely recurs in adults, unless the dog has chronic underlying allergic skin disease or a certain hair type. If your veterinarian diagnosed its recurrence via skin scraping, then it is back. And if this is truly demodex, then the bad news is there is NOT any over-the-counter (non prescription) product to clear. Even our prescription products are tough since not all work. You may recall this took weeks to months to clear the first time. So, the bad news is that you are going to have to see your veterinarian for treatment. In the meantime, though, you should start bathing her in a good cleansing shampoo. The one I often recommend for dogs with demodex is Selsun Blue original. When you use this, really work into skin and then let stand for 3-5 minutes before rinse. Do not get into her eyes/mouth. This may not be demodex and instead could be a bacterial or yeast skin infection. Often dogs do get this secondary. For that the shampoo I mentioned may help. You can also use oral Benadryl at 1mg per pound every 12 hours for itching. Do NOT give any corticosteroid spray s(hydrocortisone or similar) because if this is demodex mange it will make it much worse and take months to clear on the right product. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jazzie. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey