Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My greyhound broke her hock and a week later she has flesh

Customer Question

My greyhound broke her hock and a week later she has flesh showing on the ball of the hock about the size of a 20 cent piece?? I have been cleaning it with warm salty water and strapping it with non stick pads as she tries to lick it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It sounds like it may be a pressure sore that you're seeing. These are not too uncommon on the hock. You can usually treat them topically to get them to resolve. The first step is stopping her from licking at it. If she's licking, then I would get an e-collar to put on her and prevent that behavior. You can then continue to clean it with a saline solution and wrap it once daily. I would also use a triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. That will help it heal faster. If 5-7 days go by and it's still not looking better, then I would talk with a vet about putting her on some oral antibiotics. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?