Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

A friend has a dog who is very sick. He is panting excessivly,

Customer Question

a friend has a dog who is very sick. He is panting excessivly, his bottom gums are blood red, he keeps rubbing his head on everything in his reach, he is not eating or drinking and he has a high fever and walks stiffly. His owner has been putting Zalim on his rectum for red spots and I want to know if this could be poisoning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It sounds like this dog may be having an allergic type reaction. IT may be the to ointment that you are using. Allergic reactions can lead to hives, swelling of the skin, itchiness and red gums. It can also cause some joint inflammation and joint pain. To help resolve these signs, you can give over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.