Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 12 week old lab just swallowed a 3/4carat diamond stud earring.

Customer Question

my 12 week old lab just swallowed a 3/4carat diamond stud earring. What should I do with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together :) Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the earring can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now2.) Take a nice walk to help move the earrings through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread. The bread is used to help bulk up the earring to hopefully push it through and protect the edges from causing damage4.) Monitor for signs of the earring coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the earring through the intestinal tract This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own. Your only other option is to have a veterinary er look down into the stomach with a camera or endoscope to grab the earring from the stomach before it is metabolized but this is quite pricey and often runs >$1k for this option...I hope this information is helpful to you but please let me know if you have any additional questions tonight. I am on-line another 15 minutes this evening If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman