Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Pacing and looking at sides

Customer Question

Pacing and looking at sides
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you both yet tonight and Razor is showing these signs
I am glad to hear that you took him out walking which can help with abdominal cramping. When a dog is pacing and looking at his sides this is an indication of abdominal cramping which can be due to a multitude of causes but the primary treatment to start is seeing if walking will help with the cramping.
Since it seems that has not helped him at all, I wanted to find out if he has any abdominal swelling, any gurgling of his intestinal tract, vomiting, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass), or diarrhea the past few hours and whether there was any risk of eating something he shouldn't such as garbage, plant, household item?
I will await your response, I am on-line an additional 25 minutes this evening to assist you both...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to have to sign off in a few moments but wanted to give you the signs to monitor for that indicates he should be seen tonight versus waiting until the morning:
Recommend veterinary er
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature <99 or 7+/ 10 in the next few hours
I apologize if I miss you tonight, especially with a situation where I truly want to assist you and Razor and I will do my best to monitor for you a little longer before I exit...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!