Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I just wanted to know what could cause multiple abscess's

Customer Question

Hi, I just wanted to know what could cause multiple abscess's to form in a puppies throat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My almost 4 month old puppy recently passed away. He went into respiratory distress and was at a animal hospital for 3 days before his body finally shut down and his heart stopped. He had pulmonary edema, multiple abscess's on his throat, and they believe sepsis from the abscess's. Other then stick injuries could him eating pesticides off the grass/dirt cause multiple abscess's in his throat?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like your dog may have had puppy strangles. This is an auto-immune disease that causes abscessed lymph nodes and other lesions of the neck/ throat. It can cause severe lethargy, respiratory signs, sepsis and death if they don't respond to treatment. The treatment is typically with steroids. Many will also need antibiotics and IV fluids if they are septic. It sounds like your puppy was pretty severely affected. I'm sorry for the unfortunate outcome. If it was from something he ate, then I would guess it was a stick that punctured. It does sound more like puppy strangles to me, though. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was horrible.
They had him in a oxygen tank. Then the next night has to preform a tracheotomy. It all started on a Sunday morning and by 3:00am Tuesday morning his heart stopped and they kept him alive on a ventilator till I could get there.
The animal hospital did mention puppy strangles and said if it was that then this was the worst they have ever see. He was on steroids and a IV then antibiotics as well after they preformed the surgery.
My apartment complex also put down pesticides (chlordane that is banned) and my puppy was constantly out there eating grass/dirt and I wanted to know if their mistake cost my puppies life since they did find traces of it through out his body. I thought the autopsy would give me closure but instead it just caused me to just worry/stress/ and Google more.
I do thank you for your response and help though it is appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It sounds horrible, I'm sorry you went through all that. I can't imagine a pesticide causing that much damage. I think puppy strangles turning into sepsis was the culprit. I agree, it would be the worst case I'd seen as well. I have seen it be fatal, but he did go through a lot. It sounds like they did everything they could, it just wasn't fixable here.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?