Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My Bassett hound was recently boarded and has been sick to

Customer Question

My Bassett hound was recently boarded and has been sick to his stomach since. He doesn't go out at night but has been going out 4-5 times a night. He's burping, whiny, moaning ever now and then. Hasn't eaten since he's been home. I just watched him have a bowel movement. The stool wasn't bloody but was red, loose, and slimy. He went about 4 times and the last two times he sat on the ground to poop. He's been munching on the weeds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Very sorry to hear Jax is not feeling well. I will wait for you to reply with a hello so I know we are connected. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What now?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It sounds like he is suffering from both stomach and intestinal distress. If he was not on his orignal food while he was boarding, that could be a contributing factor. If he was, this could be partially a stress colitis, to result in the red and slimy appearance. When the stool also has a oily, mucoid/jelly, or blood in it that suggests colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the large intestine. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/colitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Don't let him eat the weeds! Nothing outside. He could really induce severe illness by eating a lot of foreign material outside. I do think there is a good indication to get him in to a vet tonight for supportive medication, since both the stomach and intestinal tract are greatly distressed. With some good supportive medication, perhaps Flagyl (metronidazole) and sulfasalazine, that may help very fast. Wish I could do more. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something that could kill him? Can I wait until his regular vet is open in the morning if I get the over the counter meds?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Super tough. Without my own physical examination, it is really impossible to know if he will decline further in health over night. Even an educated guess is really worthless to you if I guess wrong!Burping, whining, bad stools, stomach distress..quite a bit going on. Definitely give the over the counter product, but you may have to really consider a ER trip if they symptoms persist or get worse. Wish I could answer more definitively, but don't want to make up a dangerous answer. Dr. Andy