Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

What dry food can I give my dog that is fat right now. she

Customer Question

What dry food can I give my dog that is fat right now. she is 8 years and 90 pounds.
Doesn't like too much dry food. Thanks, Desesperate
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!
Picky eaters can be tricky, but for weight loss here are my tips:
- Choose a "weight management" variety of food. All major pet food brands have such a formula, so you may want to try a few different ones to see which she likes best. If she refuses to eat them you can a small amount of canned food and decrease the canned food over time as she gets more used to the dry.
- Make sure you are not feeding too much: dogs do not need much food so check the food recommendations on the bag of the food you are feeding and feed no more than the recommendation. Often, the recommendations are on the high side, so you may need to decrease her food a bit from there to help her shed the pounds.
- Discontinue ALL people food: people food adds up fast and rarely allows for weight loss. Only feed her dog food and discontinue all people food, even tiny bits of table scraps.
- Discontinue ALL treats and use vegetables instead: small pieces or carrots or string beans work well (absolutely NO grapes, raisins, onions)
- Get her moving: exercise to burn calories is an important part of weight loss and will help her build muscle and healthier joints. If she has a hard time start slow with short walks, and work up from there.
Lastly, since there is so much individual and breed variation in what the ideal weight is for pets, the best way to monitor her progress is by body condition. Here is a great chart showing you how to do this:
http://research.unc.edu/files/2012/11/CCM3_032387.pdf
Thank you for your question! Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
All the best to you and Bikina!
Dr. Drea