Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

2 and half year mastiff vomited 2 then collapesed pooped while

Customer Question

2 and half year mastiff vomited 2 then collapesed pooped while collapsed 8 hours later still not right
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.
I am sorry to hear that Mac is not himself right now. I am honestly very concerned about the signs you note- it sounds to me like he may have had a seizure. Seizures can look different depending on the type of seizure and the individual pet (they don't always include thrashing), but collapsing and loss of bowel control are common signs. Following a seizure, it can take hours for a pet to return back to normal. Seizures can be caused by a variety of conditions including epilepsy, toxin ingestion, or brain abnormalities or diseases (such as brain tumors, strokes, or meningitis).
Another possible cause of these signs is heat stroke, so if you are in a location that is warm and Mac has been outside or in a hot location (such as a garage, car, etc), he should see a veterinarian ***immediately*** as if left untreated heat stroke is FATAL. The fatality rate increases quickly the longer the pet goes without aggressive treatment, so getting him to a vet quickly is important if he is in heat stroke.
Even if he has not been in warm conditions, due to the severe nature of these signs and possibly serious diagnoses, I do recommend that Mac see a vet. They can then do a full physical exam, determine the diagnosis, and make the most appropriate treatment recommendations.
Thank you for your question- please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Please keep my updated on Mac- I hope he makes a full recovery.
Best,
Dr. Drea