Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 6 yr old springer spaniel recently is having difficulty

Customer Question

my 6 yr old springer spaniel recently is having difficulty getting up from a laying position, and I just noticed two lumps on her one hind quarter. I am afraid the dog is ill, she is the best dog ever!!. Does this sound like cancer?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Mia is showing signs of changes. First addressing the difficulty rising from a laying position, this sounds more like the beginnings of arthritis or stiffness in the joints and I definitely would advise an examination to determine if she is simply sore and requires some physical therapy to increase strength in her rear end or if there is something going on that requires pain management interventionSecond, addressing the lumps. In order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscopeThis is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentationEvaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus laterSome tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would beI always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today but I do not correlate the new lumps you have found with the difficulty getting up at this point. It sounds like we have two separate issues to address with Mia If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am on-line another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both so please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman