Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog Riley doesn't have an appetite since this morning,

Customer Question

My dog Riley doesn't have an appetite since this morning, his stomach is making loud noises, and he's eating grass. He has pooped twice and the first time was normal and the next was very watery diarrhea. He hasn't vomited. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry that Riley is not feeling well! I can give you basic guidelines for him but if he is not improving or worsening then I definitely would advise a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation (fresh or refrigerated) to ensure there are no underlying medical causes that require medical intervention. - Begin Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle his stomach and hopefully reduce the gurgling and stomach cramps- Feed small frequent meals of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken which is bland yet bulking to the intestinal tract and hopefully will help his stools firm up. If he is not interested that's ok, it is an indicator that he is nauseous and anything he takes in orally will likely result in vomiting episodes. Indicators that he should be seen sooner rather than later include:- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature <99 or <103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Return of the trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distressPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope he is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am on-line another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both so please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!