Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been barely eating few weeks, and Tuesday

Customer Question

My dog has been barely eating for a few weeks, and Tuesday he started vomiting and gagging on a clear/mucus type substance. His stomach is gurgling and churning loudly too. He seems happy but also lacks energy. What can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How often is he vomiting?
Can he keep water down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has moist pink gums. Vomiting several times an hour. Seems to keep water down. He has no discomfort, tenderness or tensing when I press his belly. He does not have diarrhea and has not eaten anything that I am aware of.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to hear that Conan isn't the kind of dog to eat anything toxic or non-edible. As well, it is positive that those parameters I asked about are all normal as well. Now with Conan's initially poor appetite, I do suspect that this is related to the vomiting. We are likely looking at a chronic issue that was causing nausea over this time that is now coming to a head. That said, it does mean that we have a number of concerns for him at this point. Specifically, we would be wary of a possible grumbling bacterial infection, viral disease, pancreatitis, or secondary to a metabolic or organ issue.
Now considering all his signs, our first step here would be to see if we can settle his stomach. To do so, since he can at least keep water down, you can try him on antacid therapy. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid ( More Info/Dose: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx) or Zantac (More Info/Dose: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.
Once that is on board, you will want to try and see if you can get him eating (as I am sure you have been). Favourite foods are allowed or you can tempt him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients). Alternatively, there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) Whichever you choose, offer a spoonful to start and if he can keep that down for 30 minutes you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they are palatable bit light on the stomach and less likely to cause upset.
On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on his water intake. To check his hydration status to make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this here. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giTyuiF_slw). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same for any sized dog. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your lad seen by the family vet before this gets out of control. In regards ***** ***** you can do to help stave off dehydration at home (though do note that if he is already then he will likely need more the oral rehydration), encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. As well, wet foods (as mentioned above) are 35% water, so getting him to eat will help us deal with water intake as well.
Overall, with his weeks of poor appetite, I do suspect that this is the same issue coming to a head. Therefore, we need to tread with care for Conan. So, I would advise the above, but if you do not see improvement in 12-24 hours or he worsens, then you do want to get your vet involved at that stage. They can assess his hydration, check him for signs of any sinister lumps/bumps or internal issues. As well, you may consider having them check a blood sample to assess the state of his organs. They can also cover him with antibiotics, anti-nausea/vomiting medication by injection and even appetite stimulating drugs if necessary. Depending on the findings, the vet will be able advise you on what is likely our culprit and what can be done to help get him back on track.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I am just concerned he may not be able to keep the antacids down.. He did eat the egg and has not vomited. He has a vet appointment today at 4.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
If he cannot do so, then that would usually be when we need to bypass his mouth and have his vet treat him by injection. Since he can keep water down, I do feel we have a chance he can (if he was too nauseous for water, that is often a red flag that injectable therapy would be best) . Still you can choose to try this now and have his vet treat him at 4pm if he cannot keep it down. Or you could just try resting his stomach until the appointment and have them start him off with an anti-vomiting jab to soothe the stomach before any oral treatment.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Conan. How is everything going?

nekovet