Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My small 12 lb terrier mix has ot ahold of some Zimecterin

Customer Question

my small 12 lb terrier mix has ot ahold of some Zimecterin horse wormer. what is best way to treat him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much did he get?
How long ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not know how much he got. its been about 18 hrs ago. He seems out of balance, he does not seem to be able to see well. I did get him to eat a treat a hour ago and drink alittle water. really scared acting
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
It isn't unsurprising that he is scared. This is a neurotoxin when overdosed (which it only takes a small amount of a horse product to do so in dogs) and he will likely feel very confused and not understand what is happening.
Has he had any tremors or seizures?
You mentioned his sight is an issue, do you think he is just struggling or that he is blind? If you drop a cotton ball (or something similar with no smell or sound when it falls), can he follow it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He shakes alittle at times. No seizures. Just seems wired,its like he does not know us or any of the other dogs. I am going to have him go to vet at 9am this morning. Just wondering if I could do something to help him til then?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Those reactions are totally normal. Ivermectin often causes mental confusion, agitation, disorientation, and hyper-reaction to things. And hopefully he isn't actually blind, but if he has major pupil dilation that too is going to make the world look really confusing for him and make him even more agitated.
Now with so much time having already passed since he ingested this, we are beyond any treatments that would have blocked absorption. As well, there is unfortunately no antidote to this insecticide.
Therefore, our focus this late on has to be symptomatic and supportive at this stage. Generally speaking, with supportive care, dogs that do not have those more sinister signs I asked about tend to respond and settle within 7-10 days post intoxication.
Now in regards ***** ***** care, I am glad to hear that you do plan to have him checked in the morning. His vet can start him on IV fluids to keep him hydrated and help flush the drugs out faster. As well, there are muscle relaxants that he can be treated with to reduce the shakes and any mild tremors. As well, if he is very agitated then he may benefit from a low dose of sedation.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care for the moment, we want to keep everything calm, quiet, and dimly lit. This is to reduce stimulation, as too much can trigger seizures in these dogs. So, if we can get him to settle and perhaps sleep, we can just help him avoid feeling those adverse effects. Otherwise, you can try hand feeding him at this point. You can offer a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese) and even gently syringe fluids if he cannot drink (just to note his daily fluid intake needs to be ~262ml per day).
So, the mainstay at the moment is keeping things calm and quiet and then seeing if we can get some fluids/food into him to prevent secondary dehydration or nutrient loss. Otherwise, we do want his vet to check as those other treatments may be of use here over this next week as his body works this out of his system.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is doing fine. Our vet gave him a shot and a few pills and he looks to be back to norm.
Still not letting him get to hot and keeping him inside alot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update,
I am glad to hear that that wee mischief maker is fine. :)
Hopefully, he has learned his lesson and won't give us any more scares for a good wee while.
Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)