Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I was just checking a question someone asked, but you maybe

Customer Question

Hi, I was just checking a question someone asked, but you maybe able to advise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been away for two weeks, and my dog (2yrs old) has been in kennels I have used before - never had any problems, but this time when I collected him he was very subdued and cowering, and he did a normal poo while on a walk yesterday, but last night had serious liquid diarrhea twiceHe has been again today and still liquid - he will eat but not as he used to, cleans the dish etc.
Not fed him now for 19hrs, should I feed him rice and chicken which I have done before, just never seen him so quiet and subdued before - he is a very bouncy English springer spaniel.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Has he vomited at all?
He could be acting frightened from pain or discomfort from the diarrhea, but it could be the opposite as well, that something frightened him somehow in the kennel and he has diarrhea from the stress.
I would start by treating the diarrhea with fluids ( water, broth, pedialyte), bland diet if he is not vomiting ( chicken and rice is good), and medication for the diarrhea. I like a prescription diarrhea medication called metronidazole but you would have to go to your vet to get that. You could try Pepto Bismal or Imodium at. 1/4th of the adult labeled dose once to twice daily.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else, and how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?