Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I need to give my dog to reside and fluid build up.

Customer Question

I need to give my dog to reside for chf and fluid build up. It is a humans pill that is 100 MG and she weighs about 40-45 lbs. How much should I give her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please clarify what "to reside" means. It sounds as if she needs to be back on a regular dose of a diuretic and so finding a new vet at your earliest convenience would be prudent. I need to know which 100mg medication is present in that pill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The name of the medicine is torsemide 100 MG for humans. I can't afford to take her to a vet and she weighs about 45 lbs. How much of this can I give her to get the fluid off and how many times.I don't want her to suffer and she feels a hundred times better when that fluid is gone so please help me please
Thank you for the additional information. The recommended starting dose for torsemide in dogs is 0.1-0.15 mg/lb every 8-24 hours (usually twice daily). That would be equivalent to approximately 5 mg for her - a difficult dose to give when dealing with a 100 mg tablet. You would need to powder the pill and divide it into 20 equal portions and dose with one portion twice daily. The dose is then tapered to the least frequent one that keeps her comfortable.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Susan Winnans. How is everything going?