Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I was wondering about something I had mice last September

Customer Question

Hi I was wondering about something I had mice last September an my cat found one just yesterday an my dog had it chewed up an had the head bit off. I used D-Con rat poison but it was almost a year ago . Will my dog be ok or no it's been about 10 hours an they have no system of anything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. There still could be some d-con in the mouse if that is why it died. The problem with rodenticides, is that mice and rats move it around and stock pile it in places. This can lead to exposure of our dogs and cats months to years after it was placed. It may also get moved from a place where the dog cannot reach it into a place where they can. In this instance, I would error on the side of caution and put him on a 30 day course of Vitamin K therapy to reverse the activity of the d-con. You have a 24 hour window to start treatment after the ingestion. When we see bleeding, we don't typically see it for 2-5 days after the ingestion. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well he didn't eat the whole mouse he bit the head off an looked like it was chewed an it has almost been a year since the mouse has been dead. So my dog could die still after the mouse has been dead for almost a year?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Oh, the mouse has been dead for a year. I thought the bait was put out a year ago and the mouse just died. I'm sorry I mis-understood that. In that case, I think the chance of the toxin being transferred to your dog is slim. I wouldn't do anything at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it was last September or October when it must of died an I was just concerned cause my cat found it in the attic an my dog chewed an bit the head off of it an I came home an took it off of him so he should be fine right?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in that case, I wouldn't worry about it. Your dog should be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.