Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog was injured by our bigger dog today - going to the vet

Customer Question

My dog was injured by our bigger dog today - going to the vet in the morning he has been hyperventilating for a while now not sure what to do. We have put him in front of the ac to cool him down, given him water. I know he must be in pain but not sure how to calm him down until 9am appt tomorrow
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this. It does sound like your dog is painful. If you want to give something at home to help with some of the discomfort, you could give a dose of Benadryl. Benadryl has some anti-inflammatory properties, so it can help with some pain. It also sedates to allow him to get some sleep. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. In the morning, your vet will assess the wounds and then start some oral pain meds- usually Rimadyl and Tramadol. This should help these signs resolve fully. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.