Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 2 1/2-year-old pitbull who is normally very extremely

Customer Question

I have a 2 1/2-year-old pitbull who is normally very extremely healthy. I have a 2 1/2-year-old pitbull who is normally very extremely healthy. She was healthy and eating well earlier today and over. Of a few hours her nose has gone completely dry and almost turned white it is cracked so bad and she is vomited three or four times and I have not been able to see any bowel movements from her. Do I need to take her to an emergency vet or can I wait 'til morni she was healthy and eating well earlier today and over. Of a few hours her nose has gone completely dry and almost turned white it is cracked so bad and she is vomited three or four times and I have not been able to see any bowel movements from her. Do I need to take her to an emergency vet or can it wait 'til morning? She will not eat or drink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is she keeping any water down at all now?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just threw up are the most she has yet and it look like there might of been pieces of a toy in there. Her gums are pink and somewhat moist. She does not appear to have any pain in her belly but she will not drink any water whatsoever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not had a bowel movement so I don't know if there's any diarrhea yet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to see that Duchess has pink, moist gums even though her nose is pale and sounding to be affected by a bit of dehydration. We'd just want to monitor the nose, but the gums are most important as an assessment of her hydration and circulation. As well, I am relieved to hear that she hasn't any belly pain. If those signs had been abnormal, then we'd be in an urgent situation that would require the ER.
Still, with her being so nauseous that she cannot even keep water down and your seeing a piece of toy (likely our culprit but also means there may be more in there), we do need to tread with care. So, I will outline some supportive care to keep her comfortable tonight. But because of the possibility of more toy in her GI and since that could be a blockage risk, I do think it is worth having her seen as soon as her vet opens to determine if that is going to be an issue.
Now for tonight, we just want to see if we can rest her stomach. We would hold off on any food at this stage. That way when she sees her vet, she will be on an empty stomach and therefore they will be able to feel what is in her stomach +/- xray or surgery if needed.
With that in mind, if she has just vomited in the last few hours, then you will want to take some time to rest her stomach. She can have access to water but only in small amounts or as ice cubes. We don't want to push her to drink but let her have sips when she feels up to it.
Once she is a bit more settled, we can try her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
Typically, this is given 30 minutes before any food/water to allow full absorption. Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Now as I noted, we aren't planning on feeding her tonight. Still, I do want to outline bland diet options you can use to feed once she is more settled and after her vet has checked her over. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you do offer this, start small and only offer a spoonful. If she can keep that down for 30 minutes, she can have another spoonful and so on. The small volumes of the easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Whichever you choose, you could also add a fiber source (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment) to ease any toy material passing through her GI. This should get some nutrients into her and help reduce her vomiting.
Now that aside, I do want to just outline how to monitor hydration for Duchess since vomiting can quickly dehydrate our pets. To check this, there are a few parameters you can keep an eye on. The gum moisture is one, but otherwise we want to make sure her eyes are not sunken and that she does not have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Any sign of these and we'd want her seen sooner before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).
Overall, I am concerned that the bits of toy are a clue to what is causing Duchess's vomiting. Since her belly isn't tender and her gums are pink as they should be; we do not have to rush her to the ER. Instead, you can rest her stomach and try an antacid until her vet is open. After that, we'd want them to feel her belly to make sure there are no other pieces of this toy that could become a blockage. If they give the all clear, they can treating her with anti-vomiting medication by injection and you can then start the above to settle her stomach. Of course, if they do find anymore and the pieces are through too big to pass, then she may need to be scoped (to remove them from her stomach) or have surgery if they are already causing a blockage in her intestines.
Finally, just in case anything changes before her vet is open, you can find your local ER via http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duchess. How is everything going?

nekovet