How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11372
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 pound schoodle ate a large 3.5 ounce dark chocolate bar..he

Customer Question

my 20 pound schoodle ate a large 3.5 ounce dark chocolate bar..he seems ok except a little hyper and breathing slightly heavier/. should he go to ER?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Unfortunately this can be a moderate to severe reaction with his size and the amount ingested (57.8 mg/kg of methylxanthines which is what theobromine is and makes chocolate toxic to dogs) This can include mild signs of vomiting, diarrhea; moderate signs of muscle tremors, increased water intake, increased excitability, to serious signs of high blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, even deathWith the amount ingested it can take 4 hours to see full effects so I would strongly urge a veterinary er tonight to monitor his heart rate, ensure there are no arrhythmias, and iv fluids to flush out the chocolate from his system. In addition, they can give him medications to reduce the hyperactivity and treat any other new signs that can develop.Unfortunately as you likely already know dark chocolate is much more toxic than milk chocolate. If this were milk chocolate I would advise monitoring but dark chocolate and the quantity I would take seriously and have him monitored tonight at a veterinary er. I don't say it lightly but do advise it in this situationI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman