Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog ate amiodarone - 1 tablet. 200 mg. about 75% of the

Customer Question

my dog ate amiodarone - 1 tablet. 200 mg. about 75% of the pill.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! The biggest concern with amiodarone overdose is cardiac arrhythmias (any anti-arrhythmic drug can cause arrhythmias), hypotension, and GI signs. This drug has not been used much in vet medicine over some of the more familiar drugs but if you are able to give me Austin's weight I can calculate the level of concern. Also how long ago this occurred?The recommended dose rate is 16.0 mg/kg as a loading dose, followed by 5.0 - 9.0 mg/kg maintenance dose once daily so once I have his weight I can calculate the level of concern but if this occurred in the last hour I would consider inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
So 150 mg was ingested, if he is more than 9.4 kg (20.6 pounds) this can be an effective dose for dogs with dilated cardiomyopathy and atrial fibrillation but if he is a young healthy dog this can be something that can cause concerns, especially if he is less than this weight. There is some literature of doses used at 40 mg/kg/day in some studies for extended periods of time without side effects but with his young age and the type of medication if we can remove it from his system that would be advised (again only if ingested in the last hour)Please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Austin. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman