Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 1.5 yrs old labrador dog has sunderlying started dragging

Customer Question

My 1.5 yrs old labrador dog has sunderlying started dragging his right hind leg. He does not seem to be in any pain. We are in Bangalore, India. Not getting good help to conclusively analyse the MRI. Pls guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am unclear based on your question if you have an MRI done or did he have radiographs (X-rays)? Your veterinarian should be able to get a consultation on those films, if digital, with a radiologist via telemedicine. There are many services for this. If traditional films were taken, then interpretation depends on the quality of the films and the experience of your veterinarian. In that situation (physical films), there is not a lot that can be done online unless your vet can mail those to a radiologist at your area specialist for evaluation.Otherwise, dragging a limb is always concerning. This could indicate anything from a fracture to hip dislocation to nerve injury to blood clot. An examination by your veterinarian should be able to determine if there is a hip dislocation versus fracture. X-rays are easy to confirm those. A clot can sometimes be determined by cold toes (bad circulation) and neurological problems are obvious based on your vet's neurological examination (inappropriate neurological reflex responses) and then based on that exam if inappropriate reflexes your vet should be able to isolate the location of the problem in the spine.